[OpenTRV-dev] LoRa

Mike Stirling mail at mikestirling.co.uk
Thu Dec 31 10:20:51 GMT 2015

Hi Bo,

The MAC layer (LoRAWAN), which I think Jeremy is referring to, is a
public spec, but the underlying modulation is not.  You can therefore
currently only implement a LoRA system using one of Semtech's radios or
a module based on their IP (e.g. Microchip). The modulation is some sort
of chirp spread spectrum system so is non-trivial to reverse engineer,
but efforts are ongoing in the community.  Once that happens it would be
possible to implement the physical layer in a software radio if that's
what you want.

Note that you can use a LoRA radio without the LoRAWAN MAC (as the HAB
guys currently do).  In this case it just becomes a proprietary data
pipe like the RFM22B or RFM12, but with longer range.

Mike