[OpenTRV-dev] Comms (concentrator/redistributor) configuration thoughts

Damon Hart-Davis dhd at exnet.com
Sat Jun 6 13:57:18 BST 2015

Hi,

> On 6 Jun 2015, at 11:57, Jeremy Poulter <jeremy at bigjungle.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> It may be a good idea to consider how integration with TR-069 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069) might work. This is extremely common when managing large numbers of devices, eg if you have a ISP provided router in your home that will be managed using TR-069.
>
> Not that I am suggesting that this should be on the leaf nodes but it would be a good idea to make it easy for some intermediate device to translate, eg a similar data model.
>
> One other point, you may want to try to avoid polling a URL for config updates as once a system is setup config changes tend to happen infrequently so it can be a huge waist of resources both in terms of the leaf node's radio, power, etc but also the serving endpoint, especially when you are dealing with thousands of devices. That being said it is also a lot simpler to implement on the leaf node and can be very useful as a kind of heartbeat.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeremy

Thanks for that; very helpful!  Will read up on TR-069.

In terms of the polling I was rather hoping to lean heavily on the cacheing/expiry semantics of HTTP to minimise inbound connections for security reasons.  I was thinking of this polling really only in the place that you think it is worst, eg between concentrator and whatever the the upstream estate management control is!