[OpenTRV-dev] OT: GSM remote control in car

Hadyn van der Berg EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue Mar 3 22:56:11 GMT 2015

Hi

just check the voltage input of MC34063A - it can tolerate up to 40V and
thus you shouldn't need a tranzorb protection device. If you are getting
40V spikes on your car battery then there is a problem.  If you still want
to add protection, you only need to make sure the tranzorb clamps to less
than 40V in worst case.  go for 26V or something like that - it will ensure
the transorb never conducts under normal crank or charging cases, but still
provides protection. I couldn't see where else +V goes to , so you need to
check the max operating voltage of whatever's connected there as well.

The MC34063A isn't a good choice for powering the system since (at 100kHz
switching frequency) it may not respond fast enough enough to handle the
high peak currents demanded by the GSM pulses (up to 2A bursts , I remember
times in usecs, but online says 1/8 timeslots * 4ms period).

VCC for the GSM modem is powered directly from the MC34063 and its output
is set for 4V which is probably right. Usually these GSM modules can be
powered directly from a Li-ion cell (max 4.2V / 4.35V). The modem should
continue to work down to around 3.5V so your battery voltage would really
need to drop for it to start failing.

You could try reducing C4 to speed up the regulators response to the fast
transients generated by the GSM modem as it transmits.  As Kevin suggested,
double C2 to help the regulator . Use ceramic caps since they have lower
ESR than large aluminum electrolytics. Datasheet recommends 1000uF on the
input (C2).

I see there is already 3x 470uF  (likely those 3x black ceramics in the
picture next to each other) +100uF  but they are on the main board and not
electrically close to the modem. If the tracks are not thick (really thick)
and the caps not close to the modem, they won't do much to help it. Indeed,
with b-2-b connectors in between there is too much inductance for them to
help for peaks.

>From the picture though , the modem board has its own local ceramic cap and
the schematics suggest 2 of them.  Really , that should be good enough.

Any chance you can measure the input voltage and / or GSM supply rail with
a fast meter as you turn on the car?

Hadyn