[OpenTRV-interest] OpenTRV-interest Digest, Vol 4, Issue 5

Alasdair Macdonald EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Sat Mar 29 12:59:37 GMT 2014

On 29 March 2014 10:50, Damon Hart-Davis <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 28 Mar 2014, at 10:25, Alasdair Macdonald <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN>
> wrote:
>

> Next questions:
> >
> > 1. Boot text informs:
> > > ? at CLI prompt for help
> >
> > I don't seem to be able to send this command from the Arduino IDE.
> Should I be able to, or can the command be sent in a different way?
>
> How are you trying to 'send'?
>
> Put a ? in the text box on the serial monitor, wait until the monent you
> see the '>' appear (NOT the following CR!) and press the send button.  You
> only have a failry short time, may 100ms to 500ms, depending on what else
> the unit has to do on that cycle.
>
> If you can't get any response at all evening with lightning fast reflexes
> it is possible that there is a short on the RX line as we had one one other
> board in this batch so far.

I discovered that I also needed to set "Carriage return" in the line ending
drop-down box. Now it works.

> > 2. wiki page states "Any time you plug in the FTDI cable or close and
> reopen the Arduino IDE serial monitor window, the board will reset and
> display the POST sequence again".
> >
> > I am NOT getting a reboot / POST by simply closing and re-opening the
> serial monitor window. Is the wiki incorrect on this point?
>
> You should.  Again it is possible that there is a board fault around the
> serial connector area.  We can follow this up if other things don't work.

Still can't get this to happen, with either board.

I'll keep tinkering and try to figure out what I can contribute to the
wiki. Conrad actuator due to arrive on Tuesday.