[OpenTRV-interest] Tinkering kit / battery powered board

Alasdair Macdonald EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Thu May 22 14:20:00 BST 2014

On 21 May 2014 18:44, Damon Hart-Davis <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:

> On 20 May 2014, at 22:38, Alasdair Macdonald <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN>
> wrote:

<big snip>

> Again, if you put the lastest code on in, on the CLI do “X 0” to permit it
> to broadcast stats to all and sundry then the other unit if in controller
> mode will be able to receive those stats and display them as from my
> snippet above.  The unit ‘A8ED’ does not have a local valve and is just
> acting as a remote stats gathering sensor.  No packets of interest to a
> valve are being exchanged, but when I get my act together that support will
> (a) allow 2-way working (all units controlled centrally and/or monitored
> via PC/Intenet) and interop with Open Energy Monitor.

I think that the best way I can make headway with this is by upgrading the
code.

Can I do this from my linux desktop / Arduine IDE software. Or do I need
additional hardware (Arduino)?

> > In an earlier e-mail you wrote that "led and series resistor between the
> B and GND screw terminals" would allow the supposed boiler controller to
> indicate if it was supposedly on or off. Can you elaborate for someone that
> isn't an electronics hobbyist what parts I can obtain from Maplin (10
> minutes walk from home)?
>
> Red LED (to be low enough voltage to guarantee to operate at battery
> voltages) and 330 ohm to 470 ohm resistor.  Can you read a circuit diagram
> and/or are you clear which way an LED has to be connected to work in this
> sort of situation?  I can don’t wish to be teaching my grandmother to suck
> eggs!  %-|>

I won't be insulted if you treat me like a 12 year old on this. My
knowledge of electronics is basically from school, 35 years ago. It's
enough to recognise a circuit diagram and recognise many of the components,
but not necessarily their orientation, which is after all important for the
LED (but not the resistor; see I do remember some stuff).