[OpenTRV-interest] Tinkering kit / battery powered board

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Thu May 22 17:22:43 BST 2014

Hi,

On 22 May 2014, at 14:20, Alasdair Macdonald <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:

> On 21 May 2014 18:44, Damon Hart-Davis <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:
>
> On 20 May 2014, at 22:38, Alasdair Macdonald <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:
>
> <big snip>
>

> Again, if you put the lastest code on in, on the CLI do “X 0” to permit it to broadcast stats to all and sundry then the other unit if in controller mode will be able to receive those stats and display them as from my snippet above.  The unit ‘A8ED’ does not have a local valve and is just acting as a remote stats gathering sensor.  No packets of interest to a valve are being exchanged, but when I get my act together that support will (a) allow 2-way working (all units controlled centrally and/or monitored via PC/Intenet) and interop with Open Energy Monitor.
>

> I think that the best way I can make headway with this is by upgrading the code.
>
> Can I do this from my linux desktop / Arduine IDE software. Or do I need additional hardware (Arduino)?

Yes.  I can point you to our Wiki page describing the config you need to apply to a clean Arduino 1.0.x download to allow it to compile for and communicate successfully with the board to upload new code.

(On the train at the moment with a ropey signal.)

You should not need new hardware at this stage.

> > In an earlier e-mail you wrote that "led and series resistor between the B and GND screw terminals" would allow the supposed boiler controller to indicate if it was supposedly on or off. Can you elaborate for someone that isn't an electronics hobbyist what parts I can obtain from Maplin (10 minutes walk from home)?
>
> Red LED (to be low enough voltage to guarantee to operate at battery voltages) and 330 ohm to 470 ohm resistor.  Can you read a circuit diagram and/or are you clear which way an LED has to be connected to work in this sort of situation?  I can don’t wish to be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!  %-|>
>

> I won't be insulted if you treat me like a 12 year old on this. My knowledge of electronics is basically from school, 35 years ago. It's enough to recognise a circuit diagram and recognise many of the components, but not necessarily their orientation, which is after all important for the LED (but not the resistor; see I do remember some stuff).

The LED and the resistor need to be connected in series, joined in the middle in some way such as a solder joint or a screw terminal/block on the LED’s long leg (anode).  Then whichever end of the LED has the flat side and/or short leg (the cathode/negative) needs to go to the GND screw terminal, and the resistor end not connected to the LED to the boiler output screw terminal.

Have to get off at next stop but if you need me to expand on those I can!