[OpenTRV-interest] Tinkering kit / battery powered board

Alasdair Macdonald EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Fri May 23 16:10:29 BST 2014

On 22 May 2014 17:22, Damon Hart-Davis <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 22 May 2014, at 14:20, Alasdair Macdonald <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN>
> wrote:
>
> > On 21 May 2014 18:44, Damon Hart-Davis <EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:
> >
> > On 20 May 2014, at 22:38, Alasdair Macdonald <
> EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN> wrote:
> >
> > <big snip>
> >

> > Again, if you put the lastest code on in, on the CLI do “X 0” to permit
> it to broadcast stats to all and sundry then the other unit if in
> controller mode will be able to receive those stats and display them as
> from my snippet above.  The unit ‘A8ED’ does not have a local valve and is
> just acting as a remote stats gathering sensor.  No packets of interest to
> a valve are being exchanged, but when I get my act together that support
> will (a) allow 2-way working (all units controlled centrally and/or
> monitored via PC/Intenet) and interop with Open Energy Monitor.
> >

> > I think that the best way I can make headway with this is by upgrading
> the code.
> >
> > Can I do this from my linux desktop / Arduine IDE software. Or do I need
> additional hardware (Arduino)?
>
> Yes.  I can point you to our Wiki page describing the config you need to
> apply to a clean Arduino 1.0.x download to allow it to compile for and
> communicate successfully with the board to upload new code.
>
> (On the train at the moment with a ropey signal.)
>
> You should not need new hardware at this stage.
>

> > > In an earlier e-mail you wrote that "led and series resistor between
> the B and GND screw terminals" would allow the supposed boiler controller
> to indicate if it was supposedly on or off. Can you elaborate for someone
> that isn't an electronics hobbyist what parts I can obtain from Maplin (10
> minutes walk from home)?
> >
> > Red LED (to be low enough voltage to guarantee to operate at battery
> voltages) and 330 ohm to 470 ohm resistor.  Can you read a circuit diagram
> and/or are you clear which way an LED has to be connected to work in this
> sort of situation?  I can don’t wish to be teaching my grandmother to suck
> eggs!  %-|>
> >

> > I won't be insulted if you treat me like a 12 year old on this. My
> knowledge of electronics is basically from school, 35 years ago. It's
> enough to recognise a circuit diagram and recognise many of the components,
> but not necessarily their orientation, which is after all important for the
> LED (but not the resistor; see I do remember some stuff).
>
> The LED and the resistor need to be connected in series, joined in the
> middle in some way such as a solder joint or a screw terminal/block on the
> LED’s long leg (anode).  Then whichever end of the LED has the flat side
> and/or short leg (the cathode/negative) needs to go to the GND screw
> terminal, and the resistor end not connected to the LED to the boiler
> output screw terminal.
>
> Have to get off at next stop but if you need me to expand on those I can!

Damon -

I think this is fine for the time being, thank you very much.

I have created versions of the fhem RFXtrx433 modules so that I can read
the console data in fhem. Right now it looks as though it is being logged
correctly in raw format. I could tidy that or per your suggestion I could
upgrade the firmware on the board so as to receive differently formatted
output. The latter seems like a good move, but I may not be able to turn to
it until next week.

What I have so far is very rough, but now that the basic read stuff is
working I intend to stick with the plan. I'll tidy up the code, then try to
figure out how to write [to the OpenTRV board].

I think I'll have a little walk and pick up the transistor + resistor now

Alasdair