[OpenTRV-interest] [OpenTRV-dev] Storage heating, dynamic demand

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Mon Sep 8 18:21:51 BST 2014

Hi

If I had a low-powered magic wand I’d simply have our fridge/freezer drop internal temp thresholds a little when the PV is generating and/or in the middle of the night when grid intensity is low, and I’d modulate my dishwasher and washing machine heating elements’ consumption to fit available generation where at all possible else start sometime in the lowest intensity quartile overnight.  That would make the appliances that use most of our consumption half disappear from the grid with a little care on our part, other than during the depths of winter.

It’s not massively tricky from an engineering perspective; like OpenTRV’s main plan, is about making a cheap agreed-upon and preferably open signalling system.