[OpenTRV-interest] Frequent non-communication periods between hub and its valve

EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Sat Apr 25 12:31:40 BST 2015

Hi,

I have been monitoring this issue, resetting, relocating OpenTRV's to try to determine the cause for quite some time now.

Replaced batteries - no noticeable improvement.

Relocated
 (still ~3m) - possible improvement BUT now truly limited number of
location options which does not bode well given this is not the intended
 final location and I expect that location to be far more limited.

HOWEVER recently

Noticed that my OpenTRV/FHT8V id's are @2532 (hub) and @1F2A (leaf).

From
 my limited understanding of OpenTRV's operation the id's 3 lsb are thus 0x2 (0b010) for both
FHT8V and thus they are both running on the same timing cycle which with
 slight timing errors means their timing loops will likely be very
slowly slipping past one another and thus transmitting to their
respective FHT8V's for significant periods both in phase and out of
phase.

This may explain a lot of what I have/am seeing as
transmissions repeatedly interfere with one another thus practically
preventing communication for significant periods depending on the
physical location of the individual elements. Thus the hubs FHT8V losing
 synch and poor comms from OpenTRV leaf to hub.

I have observed
this in the hub output I have monitored and captured (timestamps at the
hub certainly would have saved a massive amount of time).

Thus to
 a certain extent I may just have been unfortunate that the two FHT8V's I
 have can cause the OpenTRV transmissions to interfere. Nonetheless the
scenario is a very practical reality for myself and others - any
suggestions?

It does not explain all loss of comms from leaf to hub which I would suggest is still poor.

ALSO
 am fairly certain that on two occaisions I saw the active radio section
 of the hub OpenTRV TOTALLY stop working though OpenTRV continued
TOTALLY unaware. There seemed to be a TOTAL lack of any actual form of
transmission or reception which continued until the hub was hard power
reset. I cannot explain how this happened but by inference lack of Tx
and Rx occurred at the same time; ANY form of Rx observed from the leaf
ceased (though the leaf still communicated with its own FHT8V) and at
the same time similarly the hubs FHT8V ceased to receive transmissions. I
 do not know what it is possible for OpenTRV to do to monitor for this
situation?

Regards Gary