[OpenTRV-interest] Evohome like system

Damon Hart-Davis EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue Feb 3 10:41:01 GMT 2015

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been out of commission for a few days and I am not really back with it yet…

A problem with (say) a 7-day cycle is that it may take a multiple of that to ‘learn’ or to relearn if you move it to another room or have guest or (as suggested elsewhere on this thread) a holiday such as Christmas or sick days.

And 365 days even more so and getting very difficult to accommodate in the memory of a typical MCU.  Never mind accounting for leap years, etc!

I think that the valve can reasonably learn (and does for us) the common elements of a daily cycle over a week (effectively weighting week/weekend patterns) and any further smartness should be provided by overrides (learned, or manual for example) via a hub and/or Web interface.  The storage at that point is indeed trivial.

Yes, there is no need to send your occupancy data to the NSA, GCHQ, etc via your favourite cloud service provider: all this can be done locally.

(There *is* an advantage in pulling in ‘predictive’ data such as holiday calendars and weather forecasts to help the system act pro-actively rather than reactively: I already do a tiny bit of this in one of my non-heating systems.)