[OpenTRV-interest] Weather compensation (was: Boiler controller (Was: The shop is open!))

John john at stumbles.org.uk
Thu Dec 22 12:48:16 GMT 2016

Hi Niall

On 22/12/16 11:50, Niall Robinson wrote:

> Secondly, one idea is to use the forecast temperature to preemptively
> adjust the house. You would need to parameterise the heat capacity of
> the house but I think an algorithm might be able to learn that over
> time. Just an idea - not sure if it would work.

I think (as Tim Small has remarked) that you're describing weather
compensation, which is increasingly widely available on modern boilers
and is possibly going to be required in a coming revision of Part L of
the Building Regulations.

Some manufacturers implement it by requiring an outside temperature
sensor (usually a vastly over-priced thermistor in a plastic box!) be
installed on a north-facing outside wall (which can be tricky to
arrange). Worcester-Bosch (and maybe others? IDK) also let you do it
through their "Wave" controller which gets a local outside temperature
reading via a wi-fi connection to the interwebs (which obviously depends
on Worcester's server staying around for the life of the installation).

--
John Stumbles                                    http://stumbles.org.uk