[OpenTRV-interest] Met data (was: Boiler controller (Was: The shop is open!))

John john at stumbles.org.uk
Thu Dec 22 13:19:40 GMT 2016

Nial

On 22/12/16 11:50, Niall Robinson wrote:
> Firstly, the Met Office has a decent API for weather
> data http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/datapoint Full disclosure - I work
> there so I'm biased!

Do you know where I could get a set of mean hourly temperature data for
a location? The Met Office's Historical Station Observations
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/datapoint/product/historical-station-obs
offer mean daily max and minimum temperatures but I'm looking for better
granularity: ideally average temperatures for each hour of the day.

What I'm trying to do is model the energy requirements of a house and do
what-ifs: e.g. what if I increase loft insulation from 50 to 250mm, or
replace single- with double-glazed windows, or fit a room thermostat, or
TRVs, where there are none, or reduce room temperatures by 1C: how much
energy and therefore money will it save over a year, and what's the
pay-back time (for changes that cost money to implement).

I managed to do it approximately with degree-day data[1] but I'd like to
be able to model different energy requirements at different times of
day: obviously if you want to maintain your house at, say, 20C, it'll
cost less to do that in the middle of the day than the middle of the
night. So I'd like to be able to say "what if we all go to bed (or at
least turn the heating down) an hour earlier: how much money would it
save?". For that I need to know what temperatures are at different times
of the day, not just averages (or max and min) for a day.

[1] from Vilnis Vesma who runs an energy management company, has a
website http://www.enmanreg.org/ and newsletter which is worth signing
up for for its interesting and often snarky commentary on energy
management principles and practice

--
John Stumbles                                    http://stumbles.org.uk