[OpenTRV-interest] Adaptive comfort

Lisa Ann Pasquale lisa.pasquale at six-cylinder.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 16:15:13 BST 2016

Humidity is a metric which is more relevant for controlling ventilation
than heating. When the humidity rises, you need to ventilate to remove the
moisture. Increasing the temperature only disperses it and adjusts the
dewpoint - it doesn't remove the moisture, which is a risk of condensation
and mould problems within the home - regardless of comfort. Tweaking the
temperature is unlikely to alleviate discomfort caused by high or low
humidity levels as efficiently or effectively as ventilation.

There's been some good research on fuzzy logic controls, in the past, which
most closely relates to how we control our comfort from an adaptive comfort
perspective. One of the main tenants of adaptive comfort is that we 'adapt'
when we feel DIScomfort. It's not a means of maintaining comfort so much as
a means of continually eliminating discomfort. Might sound like two sides
of the same coin, but the distinction is actually very important in control
logics. Some fuzzy logic controllers even take into account the likelihood
of window opening, as it may relate to outdoor noise levels, etc.

personally, I'd be very interested to see a controller which allows people
to adjust the thermostat based on "I'm too hot", "I'm too cold" commands to
boost temperatures for short periods of time. That way, when an individual
might be wearing heavier clothes than normal (like, when I'm cooking in a
hoodie), I can just tell the controller "I'm too hot" and it adjusts the
temperature accordingly. Or when I'm walking around barefoot (for whatever
reason), I can say "I'm too cold" and the temperature bumps up for an hour
or two. That responds to my immediate needs for comfort, and also gives me
a chance to either peel off a layer, or put on some slippers once the
discomfort has been alleviated (which, again is "adaptive"...).

The learning/programming part would need to consider how often someone
calls out they're too hot or too cold at specific times of day, and at give
set points. It would need to learn a safe "base" behaviour, and then be
able to identify 'outlier" requests which can be excluded from being
averaged into the base behaviour.

Lisa

--
*Lisa Ann Pasquale  *BArch MSc CEng MCIBSE
Director | CoRE Retrofit Coordinator | CoRE Fellow

**UK Green Building Council Rising Star 2016**

+44 7896 051 660
http://six-cylinder.co.uk
<http://six-cylinder.co.uk/?utm_source=e-mail%20footer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=general%20correspondence>

*We're like crash-test engineers, but for low-energy buildings... *

<https://www.linkedin.com/company/six-cylinder-limited>
<https://twitter.com/6CylinderLTD>

The information contained in this e-mail, including attachments, is
confidential and submitted commercial-in-confidence, and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for use by those to whom it is correctly
addressed, and may not be forwarded without consent of the sender. If you
have received this e-mail in error, any distribution, disclosure, copying,
or action taken in reliance, of the contents of this e-mail is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Whilst we take reasonable precautions to ensure that
e-mails have been swept for viruses, we do not accept any liability as a
result of the transmission or interception of this e-mail and advise you
carry out your own virus checks.

Six Cylinder Limited is registered in England and Wales, Company no.
08107402, VAT no. 183071908