[OpenTRV-interest] Adaptive comfort

Chris Skerry chris_skerry at icloud.com
Tue Jul 12 15:54:27 BST 2016

Tim,

I wonder if I can upset the question a bit with this  —

My understanding of comfort for us humans depends upon 3 different external factors

1.  Temperature
2.  Humidity
3.  Air movement.

Lets assume that in almost all situations the air movement is almost zero.  If a house is draughty, then it is not that expensive to fix.  I found installing cavity wall insulation in two houses made all the rooms more comfortable, less temperature change at the walls, and less draughts.

Humidity is expensive to control, as I think you would need some air-conditioning.  But it is not expensive to measure.

I think the house owner could develop a comfort graph for the house with humidity versus temperature, so the system would measure the humidity, look at the graph and set the temperature level to suit.  The heating system would then heat to the required temperature.

My Evohome system gets an external temperature forecast from Honeywell.  This is used to set the time of ‘heating on’ so the room temperature is at the requested level at the requested time.  However it takes no account of humidity, perhaps a future update. . . . . ?

Regards,……….Chris.
.