[OpenTRV-interest] Adaptive comfort

Damon Hart-Davis dhd at exnet.com
Wed Jul 13 13:25:04 BST 2016

> On 13 Jul 2016, at 13:18, graham pitt <gpitt41 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Out of interest, what is the backend written in for managing and scheduling all the trv's? Personally I would sooner something that is installed in the home rather than cloud management, but I understand that's not trendy these days.

Almost all the cleverness is in the valves themselves, in C/C++, and is published on githib.  The core is ~10 lines, with 30,000 lines of dull support!

> And what is the plan for integrating with the boiler? I guess for a simple installation you could continue to use the house thermostat for the main boiler control but for ideal results you would perhaps want some live comms of current and target temperature in a room and to fire the boiler when any of those targets arent met. You would then be able to understand which rooms are causing the boiler to fire and costing you money.

We have a boiler controller already.

The current canonical form is a ‘REV10’ board, which can also carry a GSM (cellular) card for backhaul of stats for monitoring, which contains a relay.

That relay output is intended to be wired in parallel with or better in place of your normal house 2-wire thermostat.

The boiler only gets fired up when at least one radiator is calling for heat.

> I assume the email victor is for anyone who is interested in opentrv trials?

Trials stuff may be better directed at me.

Victor is for crowdfunding, and we’d rather keep that separate from general trials, though depending on the details we could, for example, have some of the crowdfunders participate in our monitoring to improve our data set to help us improve the product (and make investors happy).