[OpenTRV-dev] V0.2-Arduino: getting started

Kevin Wood EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Tue Apr 2 14:05:51 BST 2013

>> The RFM69W module they tout as a replacement looks interesting.
>> Encryption, packet engine and "data whitening" all supported. No
>> indication of price or how long that'll be supported, though.
>>
>> Kevin

> It appears to be based on the Semtech SX1231, which is several years
> old.  The encryption would certainly be a nice addition. Digikey price
> for the chip is $1.75 in 3000 off so that's quite promising for the
> module being cheap.  Haven't found any European (or in fact any) disties
> for it yet though.
>
> Stuart:  What was your source for the demise of the other modules?
>
> Mike

Playing devil's advocate, though, rich functionality in the RF module can
be an Achilles’ heel if security of supply is an issue, leaving us with a
lot of work to do if it goes EOL at an awkward time. I guess that prompts
one to wonder if implementing key features like encryption and 100% of the
protocol inside the CPU and using a dumb RF module might be a better
strategy? More expensive in code size and, probably, power consumption,
but with the ability to substitute a different RF module easily?

Kevin