[OpenTRV-dev] FAQ 11: is it safe to do without the CRC on secure frames?

Jeremy Poulter jeremy at bigjungle.net
Sat Dec 19 20:07:52 GMT 2015

If you are short on space then definitely drop it. Your security layer
should cover verifying the frame content, if it does not the communication
is not secure ;-)

As you have mentioned you are fixed with the AVR plus Hope RF module for
now but there are some awesome combination MCU/radio chips coming out, eg
the nRF52. Think they quoted sub 10mA when TX/Rx and the sleep power was
ridiculously low. All that and a good CPU (ARM Cortex), floating point,
Bluetooth, NFC and loads of other goodies.

Jeremy