[OpenTRV-dev] FAQ 11: is it safe to do without the CRC on secure frames?

Damon Hart-Davis dhd at exnet.com
Sat Dec 19 20:34:52 GMT 2015

> On 19 Dec 2015, at 20:07, Jeremy Poulter <jeremy at bigjungle.net> wrote:
>
> If you are short on space then definitely drop it. Your security layer should cover verifying the frame content, if it does not the communication is not secure ;-)
>
> As you have mentioned you are fixed with the AVR plus Hope RF module for now but there are some awesome combination MCU/radio chips coming out, eg the nRF52. Think they quoted sub 10mA when TX/Rx and the sleep power was ridiculously low. All that and a good CPU (ARM Cortex), floating point,  Bluetooth, NFC and loads of other goodies.

Indeed, but I want to try to avoid forcing the use of “the next level up” on MCU or radio hardware, for OpenTRV and Launchpad.

I really really may be wrong, but this is my hunch for now and I’m sticking with it absent an extraordinary counterargument!  And there may be enough oversights in the format that need fixing that all this becomes moot.