[OpenTRV-dev] Radiator debugging and re-calibration

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 10:27:19 BST 2016

Hi all,

As it's been getting colder recently, my OpenTRV devices have started
occasionally firing up the heating, all well and good. However, one of the
OpenTRV equipped radiators (rev 1 + Conrad actuator) stays stone cold
despite the valve claiming to be open at 60+. All other OpenTRV equipped
radiators are fine.

So the question is: how do you identify the root cause and fix for such a
problem? Could it be due to the valve having somehow been de-calibrated
during the summer while it wasn't in use?

As far as OpenTRV is concerned, there are a couple of things that we could
do:
- add something in a FAQ to explain how to analyse such problems
- automatically re-calibrate the first time heat is required after a long
period of inactivity or do so regularly (of course assuming the root cause
is a calibration one)

Thoughts?

Bruno