[OpenTRV-interest] Programmable TRV performance

Geert Steyaert EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN
Thu Feb 19 16:20:30 GMT 2015

Sure, thanks for the answers, I have some more questions though :) As
expected ...

...for the plastics, will there be a downloadble version we can print/have
printed ourself in a fablab or at friends place, for the less 'visually'
interested people?

... When reading boiler manuals and seeing manufacturer (Junkers in my
case) boiler options, there is always a 'special' thermostat for modulating
boilers, 'different' from the ones for older standard pump/boiler on/off
switch. How does that work then? More on this, I have read this on a Nest
forum: "All a thermostat like the Nest can do is send an on/off signal, or
if you're lucky, a stage 1 or stage 2 signal. Modulating furnaces vary in
how they respond to this signal, and I forget what Goodman does. Some will
not modulate at all without the matching thermostat, becoming a single or
multistage furnace. Others will modulate, but based on an internal
algorithm that guesses how the modulation should go based on the length of
heat calls. In other words, it doesn't actually know the room temperature
like the thermostat would. The latter is better than the former, but using
the [boiler matching] matching thermostat beats both."

Another comment (on the Junkers boiler, the one I intend to use) and the
modulating process I found here:
http://forum.loxone.com/enen/software/5664-question-intelligent-room-controller-2.html
So I'm not sure how much actual use of the modulation there will be in this
only on/off situation.
Something interesting I also found, on the same link as the 1st quote: "Most
of the new "modulating" variable-speed systems are using a ClimateTalk
<http://www.climatetalk.com/>compatible protocol.".
https://community.nest.com/message/42434

So is there any plan to support that in the future, in that case then I
need to figure out if my new boiler also supports that 'standardized'
protocol.?

Thanks again,
Geert

Kind regards,

Geert Steyaert (Tel. : +32 475 535620 & +31 6 34916723 )
SAP Netweaver Technology Consultant
IBM GBS Belgium

EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN & EMAIL ADDRESS HIDDEN